Monday, April 07, 2008

That's no histamine reaction

Yesterday and today have been the first spring days we have seen in central Ohio. High 60s, maybe even 70. Sunny. Blue skies. The weather brought all the neighbors and the kids out for the evening. It was nice to catch up with everyone that I haven't seen all winter. Consequently, after sitting at the office all day, I stood for about an hour outside catching up with neighbors and followed that up with another 45 minutes of standing while making dinner. The result in the third trimester? Feet as sausage-like as our cat Friedrich. I know you don't know what my feet normally look like, but I assure you that it's not like this.

I can actually feel the skin stretching as I bend them to try to increase the circulation. This is all new to me, as it didn't happen when I was pregnant with Breyten. Why does it happen? According to what I've read and been told by the doctor, as you get later into pregnancy your body has much more fluid in it than normal. It can be difficult for your body to return blood through veins, especially from lower extremities, and other fluids get pushed into tissue causing swelling. It's not supposed to be dangerous unless my hands and/or face start swelling, which they haven't. So for now, regardless of how weird this feels or looks, I guess I'll embrace it as an excuse to put my feet up and relax.

I hear the couch calling...

3 Comments:

At 8:38 AM , Blogger Tatiana Kafkiana said...

My goodness, Amelia, of curse those aren't your feet. Not that I usually pay especial attention to them, but I can't even see your ankles!

I have no experience in his subject matter, I mean pregnancy related. But once, I got feet like those, a little bit more swollen, almost up to my knees. It was on my flight to Thailand. And it lasted for days. Then it got better, took a flight from Chang Mai to Puket, and it happened again! I took advantage of the wonderful and affordable Thai massages.

They said it was something from flying from West to East. But it doesn't happen when I fly from here to Spain... Never happened again. My hormones were kind of crazy though, I had just quit smoking. So maybe it's all a hormonal question?

Do your feet even fit in your shoes? Mine didn't.

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Awww you poor thing!!! Hope it's better today ;) I remember that lovely stretching feeling...it is strange. Keep those feet up, Mama! ;)

 
At 7:36 AM , Blogger Tatiana Kafkiana said...

How are the sausages doing?

Oh, got that package. Thank you, CON amor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home