Sunday, May 18, 2008

Warning: Scatalogical humor needed

Well it's Ada's 6th day and we are all getting to know each other. What we know about Ada is that her favorite thing is to nurse. Her least favorite thing is anything that prevents her from nursing. She's a pro at nursing and has been from the beginning in the hospital...no trouble latching on or figuring out how things work.

In the first few days, she got colostrum while nursing, which is a rich, fatty, antibody enhanced mommy elixer. After a few days, the colostrum is replaced with milk, which is what she is drinking now, to her delight, because there is lots more of it. With this change in food has come a noticeable change in poo. Beginning poos are dark brown and sticky-ish, but once the milk comes in, they turn yellow and contain a good deal of liquid. The first impressive thing about the yellow poo is its arrival. It is quite audible. As David says, it's like a gunshot. It comes loud and fast and it is quite surprising that the culprit of that noise is so tiny, delicate, and sweet. It reminds one of the modern children's classic "Everyone Poops," as they certainly do, some louder than others.

Ada decided to show David the second impressive thing about yellow poo this afternoon: it's projectile quality. Before leaving for a bike ride, he took her upstairs to change her and to put on her first cloth diaper (I'm sure we'll be writing more about this adventure as we learn). I told him to call me if he needed any help. After three minutes I hear "Ummm...I need some help." I made my way up in my postpartum slowness, thinking there's no rush. But when I arrived, I saw that the situation was quite to the contrary. There was Ada, baby-cooing on the changing table, with a spray of yellow poo stretching from her little bum all the way to the door to her room, some 4 feet away. Yes, yellow poo is a projectile that can be released at some velocity. David explained that he had come to expect an after-the-diaper-has-been-removed-pee, but this was the first after-the-diaper-has-been-removed-poo. And apparently it packs quite a punch.

Since things tend to happen in groups of three, we suspect there is a third impressive thing about yellow poo. When we learn it, we will be sure to share it.

For now, please send your good thoughts our way in the hopes that David doesn't develop PTSD after this close call with a gunshot. A mushy, yellow, gunshot.

2 Comments:

At 6:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my....I definitely laughed about the projectile poop! Way to go Ada lol!

David, hope you're ready for more diapering adventures.

Good luck with those cloth diapers, too!

Amelia, glad that Ada knows what to do and is nursing like a little pro. Very good. Hope you're drinking that water and eating plenty :D

Ada is a darling...looking forward to more pictures.

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have to admit I wasn't brave enough to do the cloth diapering until Kiran was nearly 3 months and the poo was a little less frequent and projectile prone! (And i realized exactly how much we were spending on disposables!)

We use the Bumgenuis and we have a few Mother-ease but we rarely use them.

A few more weeks and he'll be a diaper pro I'm sure!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home